twilekjedi reference

Twi'lek Jedi

Source: Star Wars: Expanded Universe

Completed: October 2008

I've always loved the female jedi from the prequels, and having played Jedi Academy so many times... it was inevitable I would make a twi'lek jedi costume. This was a bit of a last minute project, but it all came together well.

This is the sixth jedi costume that I have sewn (four for me, two for my daughter), so I have learnt a lot through trial and error. The main problem is with so many layers, everything tends to shift around while wearing. This time, I took a different approach. With the many bodysuits I've made, I have got a couple of altered patterns that fit me well. So I made an 'undersuit' - this means that I don't have a waist band underneath, or an undershirt to worry about bunching up. The sleeves and top half are a light cotton crepe (same as my previous versions) and the pants/lower half a dark brown stretch cotton. It is so comfortable, and nothing shifts around when I'm wearing it.

I once again changed my jedi pattern, to fit female curves a little better. The tabbards are ones I cut out a few years back, as an alternate colour option, but never used them. They are made in three pieces - to achieve the angle at the belt required to hang straight. I narrowed the sections, sewed up and ironed. Made a quick obi (underbelt sash) out of the tunic fabric, and made a second one out of the cotton crepe for a bit of colour variety. The belt and Motorcowboy boots are my originals. My lightsaber is the same machined hilt I use for Barriss Offee, but I'm working on a custom lightsaber.

The lekku are latex, made by 'Pam's Twi'lek Creations'. They are amazing, and don't require a chin strap to wear - surprising light and comfortable to wear (ended up wearing them all day). The head strapping is made from a thin vinyl from a skirt - it took a lot of work to get the fit and placement of the 'headbands' right, but I finally found a combination of techniques that work. They are removeable, so I can put new ones on at any time. Because it was a little last minute, I didn't feel I had the time to work with the Ben Nye/Kroylan makeups, so I bought a water based dark foundation. It took a lot of work to get it to an semi-even tone - it is all painted on by hand, as I didn't have time to airbrush it. It just washes off with water, so I can change the colour if I want.

My costume has also been referenced in official artwork, as the basis for 'Force Seeing' card (#9) in the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game - The Nightsister's Revenge (click here for comparison).

Worn at - Armageddon Auckland 2008.

Flickr set - Flickr.com/photos/mattandkristy/sets/72157602316342451/

::> Go back <::

twilekjedi costume